O.A. Quinoa Carrot Quinoa Muffins
Author: O. A. Quinoa
Recipe type: Deserts
Serves: 12 Muffins
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 1 cup whole wheat flour (you can also do ½ cup of quinoa flour and ½ wheat flour)
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- ½ tsp. salt
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup light brown sugar, packed
- ¼ cup orange juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup shredded carrot, lightly pressed dry
- ½ cup raisins
- ⅔ cup milk
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- It is important to plump and soften raisins for a better finish. Place them in a bowl and cover with boiling water. Let stand 10 minutes, then drain and let cool.
- In a large bowl, whisk together whole wheat flour (the quinoa flour in case you have chosen to go with it), cinnamon, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment (or a large mixing bowl) beat together eggs and sugar. Beat in milk, vegetable oil, orange juice, and vanilla extract. Reduce speed to low. Add carrots. Mix in quinoa a little at a time (if quinoa is still warm, this will prevent it from scrambling the eggs) until combined. Add carrot-quinoa mixture to the flour mixture, stirring by hand until just combined. Fold in raisins.
- Coat a muffin pan with cooking spray or a little butter, then divide batter evenly among the 12 cups. Bake for 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove muffins from pan to cool.