Quinoa Risotto with Butternut Squash
Author: O. A. Quinoa
Recipe type: Entree
- 2 cups peeled and cubed ½ inch butternut squash pieces (or use Pumpkin)
- ½ cup arborio rice
- ⅓ cup quinoa
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4-5 cups of vegetable broth or water (warm water)
- ¼-1/2 cup toasted pumpkin seeds
- salt and pepper to taste
- few sage and parsley leaves to garnish
- Keep the broth/water warm by first bringing it to boil and then simmering in low heat. On the side in another skillet, add 1-2 tbsp olive oil (or butter), add the onions – saute until soft and then add the squash. Cook for another 3-4 minutes.
- Add the rice and quinoa and saute for another 2-3 minutes until you get the aroma from the grains.
- Add the sage leaves, stir and then slowly ladle by ladle add ½ cup of simmering broth/water to the rice. Let the rice absorb the liquid and then add more liquid. Continue until grains reach a creamy texture and is tender. Make sure to stir continuously, otherwise the rice will stick to the bottom and get burned. This whole cooking process takes about 20-30 minutes. Garnish with the seeds and parsley/cilantro.Usually adding a little butter towards the end enhances the taste well. I do it when I am cross with my weighing machine! Counter intuitive, I know – but well who ever said I was normal like average ppl?