Vegetarian Quinoa Moussaka
Our Vegetarian Quinoa Moussaka is one of our specialty entrees we highly recommend. Although it may take some time and effort to prepare, it is so delicious we highly encourage you to try it.
Author: O. A. Quinoa
Recipe type: Entree
- 750g eggplants, cut in thin slices
- Salt to taste
- 150 ml of vegetable oil
- 3 white onions (blended)
- 750g of cooked OA quinoa
- 1 ½ cloves of garlic (crushed)
- 3 tablespoons of tomato puree
- 600g of canned tomatoes
- 750g of sliced and cooked potatoes
- 2 teaspoons of complete seasoning
- 40g of butter
- 40g of quinoa flour
- 450 ml of fresh milk
- 2 egg yolks
- 65g of cheddar cheese, grated
- Pinch of nutmeg
- Sprinkle the eggplants with some salt and let stand for 30 minutes. Drain the liquid and dry the slices with kitchen paper. Fry the eggplant slices in hot oil until golden.
- On another saucepan, fry the blended onions until the water has evaporated and the onions are lightly golden. Add the cooked OA quinoa, tomato puree, canned tomatoes, salt, pepper, and complete seasoning. Add enough water to avoid drying the mixture up and cook for about 15 minutes.
- On a greased oven casserole, put a layer of eggplants and spread a layer of quinoa filling over it, on top of this put a layer of potatoes. Keep layering in this same order until you finish off with a layer of eggplants.
- To make the sauce, melt the butter in a small saucepan and add quinoa flour.Gradually add milk beating very well to avoid creating lumps. Cook the sauce until it thickens, and take away from the heat. Add the egg yolks and cheese, stirring until the cheese melts. Pour this sauce over the moussaka, and sprinkle on some extra cheese and cooked quinoa.
- Bake on 200* C for 15 – 20 minutes, or until golden brown. Serve it while hot and enjoy!